• James H. Freeman is a civil litigator with over ten years of experience in the New York legal industry. His practice focuses on resolving complex disputes in the entertainment business, including music, digital media, film, television, theater, internet and the arts.
• James began his career as an associate in the litigation department of Proskauer Rose LLP (2000-2005), where he worked on entertainment-related matters for clients such as the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA), Lauryn Hill and Madonna. He later joined the firm of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP (2005-2008) where he engaged in multi-national commercial litigation. In 2008, James became a senior associate at the boutique Wall Street firm of Garvey Schubert Barer. He served as lead counsel representing a variety of entertainment-related clients, including major recording artists such as Ne-Yo and Gucci Mane, as well as top-ranking athletes.
• James received his J.D. law degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2000) where he served on the Arts and Entertainent Law Journal and Latin American Law Students Association. He graduated from Northwestern University (1994) with a Bachelor of Science in Media Communications.
• James is admitted to practice in the state of New York (2001) and the U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York (2002).
• In 1999, James became the first American exchange student in over 40 years to study law at University of Havana Law School in Cuba. He speaks fluent Spanish.
James H. Freeman, Esq. is an experienced civil litigator based in New York City who focuses on resolving disputes and litigating claims in the arts, entertainment, digital media and music industries. James takes a “new school” approach to resolving conflicts in the entertainment business through efficient, value-based litigation, arbitration and mediation targeted to achieve positive, winning results.
Entertainment Law • Entertainment Litigation • Music Lawyer • Music Business Attorney • Entertainment Disputes • Copyright Law • Art Law
Trademark Infringement • Entertainment Attorney NYC • Conflict Resolution • Media Law • Music Litigation • Royalty Collection • New York